Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Petaling Jaya City Councillor

Today Tuesday 11th November 2014, I was sworn in as a City Councillor in the City of Petaling Jaya.

As one of 24 councillors, who together with the Mayor have the responsibility of administering the city.

This is an appointment made by the State Government.

It is a heavy burden as we would have a direct responsibility to the well being of the people and businesses in the city.

As the third tier of governance we are closest to and have a direct impact on the daily lives of the citizens. What we choose to do or not do would impact the quality of life for the people in the city.
It is in most instances a thankless duty with only pittance for allowances: ie RM1500.

However when street lights go dark or drains over flow, we are cursed. When things run smooth, no thank you will come nor is it expected.

After countless occasions of rejecting the offer, I have decided to accept this time round. I felt it is time I take the next step in my commitment to community service.
I believe deep down that as Malaysians we deserve much better than what we get now. If I get this chance to do it, I see it as a calling to me.

I accept it humbly and calling on my family and friends to keep me in prayers as I carry this duty.

May His name be praised through my words  and my deeds in this role.

No comments: