Monday, November 24, 2014

My first two weeks as a City Councillor

Two weeks down as a city councillor; it has been an interesting journey so far.

On the same evening that I was sworn in, I attended a briefing by KIDEX to Kpg Kayu Ara residents.

In this first fortnight, Ive also organised an Anti Dengue Gotong Royong jointly with the District health department, residents and the council.

Ive also met up with another group of residents who are concerned about the proposed LRT project in their neighbourhood.

Ive managed to stop by at a Residents' Association committee meeting and went on the ground on my bicycle to a housing area. The cycle ride helped me identify first hand the issues affecting the local housing area.

I also attended my first full board council meeting plus three committee meetings.
Apart from residents, I also met up with developers to understand and address the issues affecting them.

There was a complaint also about loud noises coming from an entertainment outlet near a housing area. I went round the area late at night to identify the problem and visited the outlet as well. Thank you to Anna Har of KOMAS and resident for accompanying me.

The week ended with officiating a Deepavali Open House and being present at the local mosque Child Circumcision event.

In between these official councillor's duties, I represented MP Sivarasa at the opening of the Great Hall of the local chinese primary school too and our usual Thursday night Service Center activities.

This also included attending to complaints of construction site working during weekends and uncollected garbage. I also attended a High Tea session with residents of yet another Chinese New Village to end my week.

It has been an interesting two weeks with a little bit of everything thrown in.

One does need to truly plan and prioritise our limited time to be well organised.

A big thank you also to my assistant Sdr Fahimi who has been a great help in getting many things done.

This week will be to set up the office into a properly functioning center, resolve and get results to previous issues raised ie uncollected rubbish and surprise site visits plus courtesy calls to Department Heads in the councils.


No comments: