Sunday, April 5, 2009

A week of Hell and back......

Sinnce last Sunday afteroon, I had been indisposed.

It started off with bodyaches and headaches followed by high fever that just refused to go away. I was completely knocked-off, lying in bed for two solid days.....with no appetite either.

Finally on Wednesday enough strength to get my ass to the clinic..........where the good doctor immediately gave me a jab, took my blood and put me on drip, right there at the clinic. I was terribly dehydrated by than. (YEAH - 3 needles in all!)

My blood test resut expected that very night or latest in the morning, so after 2 bottles of drip, i was packed off home. That night was yet another sleepness night making it 4 nights in a row!

Early next morning, the clinic called and asked me to go over. Confirmed - it is DENGUE!. Surprising my platelet count was not too bad....128 from the norm of 150. Still, the doctor insisted that I should be warded.

I decided against hospitalisation as I was informed they would just be putting me on drip and taking my blood daily for monitoring. I opted to stay home. Drowned myself in glucose 100+. In addition I started on Salted Soya Bean Milk, PhosChol (Phosphatidylcholine) and Vitamin C. I was also fed the Cambridge Diet. YUKS!

I was also given chinese traditional body detox treatment.

I also had "spring chicken" (Frog) boiled with little bitter gourd and honeyed dates as nutrition soup. This was excellent : wonderful taste!

Meanwhile, my fever had gone off and I started having diarrhea. It turned out to be the salted soya bean; it was meant to do that - to cleanse and detox my system. I still could not take solid food as I kept feeling nauseous. With no solid food, I had no energy and kept feeling tired and sleepy. But I could feel myself getting better.

Finally, Friday and I started on a litte solid food....and that night I was able to sleep better too. Saturday too on a bit more solid food and finally this morning, went out for breakfast though I could only finish half a bowl of bitter gourd soup noodle.

And yes, I could also sit up and write this blog and clear my mail box which has since been full.

It has been one long week....

1 comment:

Jarod said...

Pity you friend. I had gone through this ordeal and find it tough. Cold and hot and couldn't sleep well at night.

Glad you overcome it. God bless!